Established in 1839, Republic Square is one of three historical squares in downtown Austin. The redevelopment of Republic Square led by Design Workshop is based around a circular promenade which connects pedestrians to all four corners of the park, creating dynamic edge conditions and providing a flexible, central lawn for activities.
Miró Rivera was approached by the park’s planners to design a food kiosk and support building at the park's northwest corner. The limestone-clad facility takes its cues from the adjacent Federal Courthouse and the park’s use of roughback limestone for retaining walls and benches. A screen of galvanized pipe shields the rooftop mechanical equipment, while a cantilevered canopy welcomes patrons.
Austin Parks & Recreation
Best Public Place, ULI Austin